Tuesday 4th July
The poor weather last week held things up a bit, but we’ve filled in and seeded the drainage ditch on the 7th. This turned out to be quite a long job and needed over 24 man hours of work to transport the soil, put a membrane down and fill and seed the ditch. We’ve left the drainage ditch that runs alongside the path up to the 8th as an open ditch filled with stones to allow water to get in to the drain quicker. The ditches on the 1st have been seeded and levelled with top soil and we’ve removed the ropes but for the time being the area is GUR. Despite the very wet weather last week, there was no problems with standing water on the 2nd, so the drain seems to be working effectively. We won’t grass over this drain but we’ll try to tidy up the edges to make it look neater. The drain on the 14th has also been finished off and seeded.
The greens are starting to look better and areas of concern such as the 18th and the practice green have been solid tined and top dressed by hand to help them improve. This was what was done to the 15th and it does seem to have been effective. The rough cutting is continuing, and we are thinking of changing the way the 15th looks by allowing the rough to grow in a bit on the left hand side of the hole in order to get rid of the bare patches where everyone tends to walk. We’ve started to cut the grass much shorter around some of the bunkers next to greens. This will provide a better surface for chipping, the greens should look better, although the shorter grass may need a few days to green up.
Saturday 24th June
The greens have been top dressed and scarified this week however we did have issues regarding small stones that were in the dressing. Most of these little stones have been removed from the greens and we are discussing the matter with the supplier.
The decision was taken to move the medal tees from the raised tee boxes for a short period in order to allow the grass to recover. The raised tee boxes such as the 11th and 12th are mainly made up with clay which is at the root of the problem.The tee boxes are back in use, but we’ll need to try to improve them in the autumn. We’ve started removing the old shields from the tee boxes and we’re experimenting replacing them with coloured squares like the old distance markers on the fairways.
Weather permitting we’ll fill in the drainage ditch on the 7th this week which will mean that for a day or two the tractor will be used to move top soil down to the 7th rather than continue with the rough cutting. We are aware that we have a real problem with a leak that has appeared next to the chipping green and we’ll be trying to sort this out as quickly as possible as on Friday it flooded the putting green and the area up to the back of the 18th green.
Monday 12th June
The replacement tyre for the tractor has finally arrived and we’ve started cutting the rough. The new strimmer has been out and we’ve strimmed the trees on fairways, the shields on the tee boxes and marker posts. The fairway cutters have been lowered and this is proving more effective against the areas that have daisies and we will be spraying these areas.
We were very pleased with the way that the new drainage ditches coped with the torrential rain at the start of last week. The drain on the second is working really well and we’ll leave it as an open ditch to make it more effective, however we will straighten up the sides of the ditch and we will fill in the ditch on the 7th in the next
couple of weeks. The greens have been fed with a feed that is rich in potash to thicken up the grass on the greens, and it contains a slow release fertiliser that will last 4-6 weeks. In a week or two we’ll scarify and top dress the greens. Finally, the new water tank now has a security fence around it and that completes the work on the tank.
Monday 5th June
The tees and fairways cutters have both had the heights lowered this week and hopefully members will notice the difference. The tees machine has been lowered from 11mm to 9mm and the fairway cutter has gone from 12.5mm to 11mm. We’ve ordered chemicals to spray areas of daisies that are perennially a problem at this time of year.
The new strimmer has been delivered and we’ll be strimming the tee box shields, the areas around some of the medal tee boxes and we’ll hopefully start strimming the bases of trees on the fairways. Most of the greens are looking much better since the irrigation system was reinstalled, and we’ll be feeding all of the greens on Monday, which will mean that they won’t be cut on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The new water tank is finished and working however we are still waiting for the security fence to be erected around it. We were told this would be done last week, it wasn’t and we’re trying to find out why, and when the work will be done.
We’ll be cutting the edges of bunkers this week and we’ve started removing some of the old shields on tee boxes. We’ll be replacing them with flat markers that are set in the ground so that we can mow straight over them rather then cut round them and then have to strim.
The saga regarding the replacement tyre for the tractor is continuing and we were told it would be delivered last week. It wasn’t. We are pushing the suppliers for answers and as soon as we can, we’ll have the tractor out cutting the rough, moving the top soil down to the 7th and spraying fairway daisies.
Saturday 27th May